What does yoga mean?
The wordyoga, derived from the Sanskrit yug, means union or practically coordinating body, mind and soul.
What is the difference between yoga and going to the gym?
Yoga goes beyond the physical body. The postures are married to the conscious breath and movement which links body, mind and soul together – as one. Yoga is also a process of self awareness and self discovery where one can relax, be in the moment and develop one’s capacity to deal calmly and efficiently with life…whatever it throws at you.
Yoga is not for me…I am not flexible!
You do not need to be flexible to do yoga; but doing yoga will give you improved flexibility and strength. Even practicing once a week, one can see an improvement.
Is yoga or Kundalini Yoga associated with a religion?
No. Kundalini Yoga (and yoga in general) is a technology for health and consciousness that predates religion. It is practiced by people of all faiths.
Why do teachers of Kundalini Yoga often wear white?
For the practice of Kundalini Yoga, it is helpfulto wear white, natural fibre clothing. The colour white is good for the body energetically and for the nervous system. Natural fibre clothing (cotton is suggested) allows the body to breathe and is comfortable during yoga.
BEFORE YOU START :
NOTE: Always consult your professional health care provider before beginning any exercise program
Your basic tools :
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing, preferably made of cotton or other natural, breathable fiber
- It is best to remove your socks to help stimulate the approximately 72,000 nerve endings in your feet.
- It is good to wait two to three hours after eating before you practice yoga and mediation. This will help you gain the maximum benefits, plus it is easier to exercise on an empty stomach. If you must eat, eat something light.
- It is advisable to have your won mat, blanket or sheepskin.
- Blankets can also be used for covering up to maintain warmth during meditation and relaxation.
- Pillows can provide comfort for sitting (slip the edge under your hips) or for relaxation. Bolsters soothe a tired back during relaxation if you place one under your knees (legs extended).
- Be sure to have a good quality water with you to drink during class.